Simply Put, Keep It Simple
- Content & clarity of purpose - Your purpose should be obvious and self-explanatory.
- Targeting your main audience.
- Use of intuitive navigation principles - Web sites should be built intuitively, so that the user knows exactly where they are, and how to get back to where they were.
- Graphics Design principles - effective use of whitespace, images and accompanying content showing up in the proper places; but, usability, not the visual design, determines the success or failure of a Web Site.
- Consistency - Users should always know that they are still on your site. If they will be led offsite, they need to be advised.
- Bells & Whistles - Judiciously if at all.